Since the 14th century, in the Tuscan tradition on which Leonardo drew, this room has also been referred to by the term “Cenacolo”. And since the early 16th century, the term has also been used in Italian to designate the paintings of the Last Supper that generally adorn refectories.
History has separated from its original context a space that was closely embedded in the monastery’s everyday life. The route we follow to reach it today enables us only in part to understand its ties with the rest of the building. Along the route that leads to the refectory, in the first corridor, there remain large fragments of frescoes dating from the mid-17th century, depicting a scene of martyrdom, perhaps the episode of 49 Dominicans slain at Sandomierz. The second section overlooks the Cloister of the Dead, so called because it once contained the graves of the friars.
Ludovico Sforza, known as Ludovico il Moro, had created a flourishing court in Milan, attracting artists, intellectuals and musicians. Between 1478 and 1482 Donato Bramante and Leonardo da Vinci moved to Milan from Florence. The two artists, among the most important figures in the Italian Renaissance, both worked on the monastery of Santa Maria delle Grazie, giving rise to one of the most extraordinary monumental complexes in the history of Italian art.
Leonardo arrived in Milan in 1482, after introducing himself to the ruler of the city with a long letter in which he listed his abilities as painter, musician, military engineer and architect. He remained at Ludovico’s court until 1499. He was employed as an artist, the inventor of marvelous spectacles and set designs, as well as an engineer and sculptor. From this period date his studies of the systems of Lombard canals, the portrait of Ludovico’s favorite, Cecilia Gallerani, known as The Lady with the Ermine (now in Krakow), and the project for the Equestrian Monument to Francesco Sforza, Ludovico il Moro’s father, which Leonardo was unable to complete. The decoration of the Sala delle Asse in the Castello Sforzesco also remained unfinished.
At the end of the century Ludovico Sforza wished to make Santa Maria delle Grazie a place to celebrate his power and his family mausoleum. He financed important commissions in the complex, such as the restructuring of the tribune of the church, which he entrusted to Donato Bramante. The decoration of the refectory was entrusted to Leonardo da Vinci, from whom Ludovico commissioned a painting of Christ at the Last Supper with the twelve apostles.
Admission tickets to the Museum are now on sale for February, March and April 2022 (starting at 2pm on Tuesday, January 18) through the usual sales channels.
We remind you that reservations are always required for all types of tickets and that, in order to access the Museum from January 10, 2022, you must show a valid “Super Green Pass” and ID.
In compliance with Decree-Law No. 229 of December 30, 2021, containing “Urgent measures for the containment of the spread of the COVID-19 epidemic and provisions on health surveillance”, we remind visitors that, as of January 10, 2022, to access museums it will be necessary to show the so-called “Super Green Pass”.
Starting from August 6th, 2021 to access the Cenacolo Vinciano Museum it will be compulsory to show a valid “Green Pass” together with an identity document.
The temporary grouping of businesses (RTI) made up of Verona 83 with Giunti publisher for editorial services and Ad Artem for cultural assistance and hospitality services for the public is taking over as licensee for services of ticketing, cultural assistance, merchandising and publishing.
Exactly 40 years ago, from 1 to 5 September 1980, the fourth session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee was held in Paris, at which the Complex of Santa Maria delle Grazie, including the church and the Refectory with the Last Supper painted by Leonardo da Vinci were added in the List of World Heritage Sites.
From Tuesday to Saturday:
from 8.15 a.m. to 7 p.m.
(with last admission at 6.45 p.m.)
from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
(with last admission at 6.45 p.m.)
To guarantee everyone a safe visit,
in this first experimental phase,
the visits last 15 minutes for
a maximum number of 33 people at a time
Reservations are required.
Reservations* for the Cenacolo Museum will open every three months.
(*Tickets are now on sale for February, March, April 2022)